Monday, November 8, 2010

Today is D-Day!



Upon our return from retrieving the kids from school on Friday, we were welcomed back home with yet another note posted on the front door with a phone number to call. "Immediately", I believe was what was written on the note. The author of the note explained that this house we are renting was going up for auction, yet again, slated for sale on November 8. You might note that that day is today.

One might wonder why I am not in a panic about it. I am sure that most of you will remember that we already went through this once before in September. Truth be told, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it, even if its true, and I have my doubts. We will just wait and see, I'll keep you posted, this could get interesting.

We made it through the election this past week and I am glad to be relieved of the political advertising that found its way through television, radio and the web. Now comes all the political posturing during the lame duck session. I have to turn most of it off because it has a tendency to make me crazy, or is it that I have a tendency to become crazy? Oh well, either way I know my limit.

I have been reading a lot of books over the past few months, I LOVE to read. I read all the the Steig Larsson books and they are incredible, not for the faint of heart mind you, but a truly amazing ride. Andrew and the kids gave me John Stewart's new book, "Earth", Gabi jumped on that one and she enjoyed it as well. Also on my literary menu was "Thomas Paine's Rights of Man" and "God is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens, all very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed "A Happy Marriage" by Rafael Yglesias and "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.

While visiting my mom, I quickly blew through her copy of "Wishful Drinking" by Carrie Fisher. Now Ms. Fisher has some interesting stories to tell but to be quite honest, I thought her book was crap. One of my favorite reads this summer was Anthony Bourdain's "Medium Raw", I just love him.

Right now I am on a quest to educate myself so I picked up a copy of "The Greatest Show on Earth, The Evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins. Not a page turner or an easy read but pretty amazing stuff to be sure. I am not an intellectual by any stretch of the imagination as one might have already ascertained by reading my blog, but I try to stay informed and knowledgeable about as many things as I possibly can. Its my latest venture, an attempt to expand my way of thinking. I know what you are thinking, "Good luck with that!" and to that, I say, "Thank you!"

Gabi reads books like most teenage girls go through Starbucks beverages, or should I say how most Starbucks beverages go through teenage girls, or would that sound too unseemly. But I digress. What I love about Gabi's love for reading is that it gives us some really great things to talk about. She just finished "To Kill a Mockingbird" for the second time (she had to for school). I never read the book but I saw the movie with Gregory Peck, so I had her watch it prior to her having to read it for school because I felt it was an important film for her to see. We have had many discussions about it ever since she finished reading it. She now insists that I read the book because there is so much more to know about the story. It's next on my list.

I gotta get back to reading heresy, so, until next time....may the force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment